The history of Szekszárd

 

All three of our business outlets (the restaurant, the café and the guest house) are situated in the heart of Szekszárd, in the historic centre. As the area is a pedestrian zone we are just a stone's throw away from the city's many sights.

 

Statue of János Garay, Garay Square

 

János Garay poet, writer, journalist and editor, the correspondent member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences was born on October 12, 1812. His first work, the heroic poem called Csatár was published in 1834 with the help of Antal Augusz and István Bezerédj. The main hero of his best-known work (Az obsitos) is János Háry.

 

County Hall and Wine Fountain in the garden.

 

The classical building designed by Mihály Pollack was erected between 1828 and 1833. The ruins of the Benedictine Abbey founded by King Béla I. can be seen in the courtyard. The building hosts an exhibition of the life of the former county hall, the archives, an exhibition in memory of Ferenc Liszt, the Eszter Mattioni exhibition (paintings and painted stones) as well as the Tamás Esze memorial room. On the outside wall of the building we can see the Wine Fountain, a frolic statue composition made by Péter Baky and László Szatmári Juhos. On important days and on special request guests can actually drink red or white wine from its tap.

 

Roman Catholic Church, the largest single-nave church in Central Europe.

 

The late Baroque church of the Ascension of our Lord to Heaven designed by royal architect József Thallher stands in the middle of the historic main square. Built between 1802 and1806 it is the largest single-nave Roman Catholic church in Central Europe. Inside, the altarpiece by Stephen Durlach depicts the resurrection, and the paintings of Joseph Schmidt, academy painter from Vienna depict the life of Jesus from birth to resurrection. The interior including the main altar, the two side altars and the pulpit were made around 18000 in late Rococo style. The richly ornamented glass windows were initiated by local parish priest Mór Wosinsky and installed in 1905 on the centenary of the consecration. Twenty years later some children wanting to smoke out pigeons from the church caused an unintentional alteration: the steeple burnt down only to be rebuilt in its current form by local architect László Diczenty.

 

Statue of the Holy Trinity

 

The town's oldest statue dating from 1753 commemorates the terrible plague of 1738 and 1740. Its maker is unknown, its style is Baroque. A plague statue of a similar kind stands in the main square in the town of Temesvár (currently Romania) which might suggest a possible common artist.

 

Petrits Gingerbread Maker's House – Museum

 

The exhibition in the Gingerbread Museum under Munkácsy Street 9b, entitled „Our Honey-sweet Memories" was opened in Szekszárd on July 6, 2003. The exhibition shows the production of sweets, gingerbread cookies and candles, the tools used and the history of the Petrits family.

 

Mihály Babits Birth House and Memorial House

 

The house was purchased by the maternal grandfather of Mihály Babits, József Kelemen in around 1855 and had been owned for almost two hundred years by the family until it was confiscated by the state in 1952. The first exhibition was opened by Gyula Illyés in 1967 and the whole house was turned into a museum in 1983 on the birth centenary of the famous poet.

 

Miklós Mészöly Museum, House of Literature

 

Only a short walk away from the main square, at the bend of the Séd stream, next to the Birth House of Mihály Babits we can find a civic house with an Art Noveau facade, the House of Literature hosting the Miklós Mészöly Museum. The property was made a bequest to benefit the town of Szekszárd by Mészöly's widow, Alaine Polcz in 2003.

During the summer period the Szekszárd market is an enjoyable place to visit.